View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 19th, 2017, 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Killing Mans, BF3, and You - By Dojobear 
Established Poster
Established Poster

Cash on hand:
592.12 Bacon Points

Bank:
200.82 Bacon Points

Post Killing Mans, BF3, and You - By Dojobear
I couldn't come up with a witty title. :(

So, I figure I'd share some mantras/rules and other sort of "mental checklist" things that are constantly going through my head everytime I hit the ground running. Please note that there is no scientific support (aka statistical) for any of this, and all findings are considered empirical/subjective. If you find something works better for you, then by all means - but I figure if this post doesn't outright help you perhaps it'll set you in the right direction.

Will periodically update this as I go.
V1.0 Initial draft.

BOOTS ON THE GROUND - INFANTRY
THE 75% RULE
One of the biggest things that I've taken into consideration when moving on foot is the utilization of cover. Since the enemy is now a lot harder to see and given that they can sometimes have multiple vantage points from which to shoot you from, cover is more important than ever. In optimal situations, I like to employ the "75% rule" which basically means you have cover - whether it is physical (e.g. a wall), optical (they can't see you), or a teammate to provide 270 degree protection. Consider the crude ASCII diagram below:

FWD
\         /
 \     /
   \ /
   / \
 /     \
/         \

Basically, you should only be concerned with what's in your FWD (Forward) arc. Since you don't have to physically rotate your view, you can react faster - allowing you to get rounds down range. Of course, this isn't always an ideal situation, but try and provide as much cover as possible for yourself. If you have the option of moving down an open street or an alleyway, take the alleyway - it's a more confined space, and you'll at worst only have to cover your front and rear arcs. Whereas on an open street the best case scenario is that you have to cover three arcs (forward, left or right, rear), if you aren't totally exposed.

If you need to cross open territory, sprint from cover to cover, don't just cross the street in one giant "hail Mary" sprint. If you suspect someone is down range (like the alleyway to Market on Grand Bazaar AKA M-COM B) but have no visual, fire a few rounds in their direction as a "keep your head down" gesture - assuming they haven't started firing on you yet.

MOVEMENT AND STANCES
Always stay mobile and keep scanning areas where you might be exposed. I almost never drop prone because of the delay in changing stances from prone. Always sprint if there are no enemies around, and crouch when needed (I only do that when I need better accuracy or performing a slow advance with other teammates covering my left/right/rear arcs. Unlike BF2 where prone was all the rage, I only do so when I need to kill line of sight between myself and the enemy or if I'm setting up permenantly in a position (which is almost never, since I ALWAYS move around).

If you're moving into an enemy area, be sure to have your weapon drawn and prepared to engage at any moment. If you've played the maps enough, you'll have a feel for when enemies will start to pop out/where they'll come from. Be sure to bind your zoom key to something where you can access it immediately, in case someone rounds the corner and you want to toggle zoom.

TWO IN THE CHEST
For me, in any sort of non-sniping situation, basically aim for their centre of mass (aka their chest) in any non-Precision Rifle situation. I know it sounds stupid/"no duh", but... that's all there is to it. Try to hit them from an angle where they're running as much towards/away from you as possible. If they're running perpendicular to you (across your screen), I find it's a lot harder to adjust your shots as you go, and you'll have to lead your shots if they're far away. If you cannot see their chest, it's a judgement call on whether or not you want to take the risk of shooting at their other exposed limbs/head. If you're in a situation where you can't find cover immediately and will die if they pop out, you may want to go nuts and start unloading. Otherwise, wait for them break cover or use the environment to do damage (e.g. grenade/AT round off the wall)

FRESH MAG
Generally speaking since a lot of my kills come from close quarters, I find that I generally empty about half a clip into the person before they die. In non-hardcore mode, RELOAD OFTEN. Not so much to the point where it becomes a chronic reloading problem like what I have (I'll reload an MG with 80/100 rounds left sometimes), but it's always better to go into a fight with a fresh mag. Don't reload until you get to cover though or if you're down to your last four or five rounds in the magazine.

With regards to pimping out your gun, this is what I usually use and why:
RDS/Holographic Sight - Fast acquisition, and is pretty straight forward. Shoot at the dot. Use it for basically anything NOT a sniper rifle.
3.4x Scope - Pretty fast and good magnification. Use it over the 4x scope on larger maps like Caspian or Kharg when I favour higher magnification over a holographic sight or RDS.
IRNV Scope - Haxx0r scope. If you've used it, you love it. For those unaware, basically it shows people really, really clearly at the cost of magnification.
Laser Sight - Since I am always moving, I sometimes have to fire from the hip - especially when I round the corner and get surprised by 1 to 4 guys. Works especially well with the MGs.
Foregrip - Again, since I'm always moving around it makes more sense to have this than a bipod.
Underslung Rail - When you have it, use it. Switching back and forth when you have the M320 or M26 MASS mounted on your rifle is a lot faster. Omits the use of the Foregrip though.
Supressor - While I won't drop it on every gun, I do like to use it on the semi-auto sniper rifles (given how well it seems to work for others), and the PDWs - namely the P90 and UMP-45. The extra reduction in vertical climb really helps.
Straight-Pull Bolt - I've never liked standing still in one spot, so I never use the bipod with sniper rifles. Using this allows you to not have to zoom out to chamber another round, which is immensely useful for long-distance shots since you'll be chambering another round during that extra split-second in watching where the round falls for adjustment - meaning that your follow-up shot will be ready faster.

That's about it for upgrades. No flash suppressors, no magnification scopes (will use these on occasion and excluding sniper rifles), no heavy barrel, and no tactical flashlights.

Last edited by Dojobear on December 1st, 2011, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 4th, 2011, 4:13 pm
Keyboard Warrior

Cash on hand:
11,701.36 Bacon Points

Bank:
42,952.50 Bacon Points

Highscores: 2
Post Re: Killing Mans, BF3, and You - By Dojobear
Alright..from whom did you plagerize this?  Because to hear Nasu talk, you went thru even less education than he did....

November 4th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Established Poster
Established Poster

Cash on hand:
592.12 Bacon Points

Bank:
200.82 Bacon Points

No plagiarism. Was just incredibly bored at work. :)

November 4th, 2011, 6:21 pm
Established Poster

Cash on hand:
3,442.55 Bacon Points

Bank:
0.46 Bacon Points

Highscores: 3
Gun - Check.  Ammo - Check. Trigger off Safety - Check.

Point and click.

November 4th, 2011, 10:50 pm
Server Admin
Server Admin

Cash on hand:
2,481.10 Bacon Points

Bank:
7.75 Bacon Points

Or there's Option B for weapon choice, since I think I'm the only one of us who plays like this:

The Guns: G3A3, SCAR-H, and PKP Pecheneg*

First, turn down your mouse sensitivity, you need a steady hand.

Next, you need to pimp out your weapon.  The above weapons have the most punch per bullet*, but can have some nasty muzzle climb.  So, this methodology is about taking the recoil out of these weapons.  The scope is your choice, Dojo is spot on.  I usually go IRNV.  Pick the foregrip and suppressor.  In single shot or short bursts, there's almost no muzzle climb with the added benefit of not showing up on the map.   Spawn and set weapon to single shot if it's not the LMG.  Aim and click like crazy, making sure you're not jerking the mouse.  

Along with being more accurate, I think I can get a better rate of fire than full auto.  Also, hip fire seems dead accurate on single, and acceptable on full auto, obliviating the need for the laser sight.  Then again, a few years of run and gun on COD4 hardcore with no crosshairs makes this easy.  Granted, I rarely go full auto weapons with this set up and if you panic fire close up, you're probably dead.  One problem I do have is with this, long range sucks a bit sometimes.  I actively need to think about bullet drop with how little muzzle climb there is.  Sometimes, I'm on my game with that, sometimes not.  In theory, this should work on most of the primaries but I specifically wouldn't recommend this for any of the weapons that have 3 round burst.  When the full auto is needed it's needed NOW, rather than clicking multiple times to get to full auto.

I also use the M39 EMR in this configuration, essentially the same way.  The jury is still out on whether the SVD or MK11 Mod 0 perform any better than the M39 EMR.  I know they all do the same damage, however I haven't bothered fully unlocking them yet and there's no data on whether the suppressors are broke or working.

*As far as the PKP Pecheneg goes, it's not that much worse than the M60E4 or M240B.  Suppressors are broken on certain guns currently, including the M60E4 and M240B.  So, you show up on the minimap.  I've decided that not showing up on the minimap is marginally more useful than the qualities of the slightly superior M240B and M60E4.  Suppressors are getting fixed in the first patch and I'll most likely switch to the M60E4 or M240B then.

November 14th, 2011, 8:41 am
Established Poster
Established Poster

Cash on hand:
5,213.02 Bacon Points

Well you saw me the other night with the mk11 and that was even when I forgot to put on the grip. Though the one page said half my kills were with the g18 :?

November 14th, 2011, 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]